Sunday, April 10, 2011

What a week we had

Phew!  Am I glad it's over.  We knew it was going to be a long one.  This was Nicholas' first week of preschool (Early Preschool is the class he's in).  We put him in now in the hopes that by the fall (or tomorrow if Daddy has his way) he will be potty trained and ready to go to the 3 year old preschool class and not be behind because he's not potty trained.  This was hard on all of us.  But change sometimes can be. 



Clearly you can see from the picture that he was excited to go.  We hadn't even left the house and he was crying because Daddy put him down and he didn't want to be put down.  I think he knew something was up because Mommy was still home and Mommy is usually gone to work by now.  We took him to school and stayed for a little bit.  We walked outside his classroom and thought we would peek through the tinted window to see how long it took him to calm down.  He was hysterical!  Screaming at the door and trying to open it.  Matt and I were in the hall heartbroken.  And then - another daddy opened the door to let his son in and out popped ours.  And there we were.  Starting all over again.  At this point I told Daddy he could go to work and I would stay a while longer.  Finally around 8:15 (we'd been there an hour already) I left for work.  In tears.  The called me on my way to work - about a half hour later and said he had calmed down. 


Tuesday we started swim class.  For the entire half hour all I heard was "I not go under".  It was all I could do to not dunk him under water so I didn't have to hear about it anymore.  I think the water and the tubes aren't mixing well as he gets anxious in the bath when it's time to rinse his hair too.  So next week we will try earplugs and see if that helps.

Then came Wednesday - day 2.  I had to do drop off again because of Matt's schedule.  I didn't stay very long - maybe 15 minutes, handed him to the teacher and left.  Both of us in tears again.  Not long after - he calmed down and started playing with his friends.  The teacher texted me pictures both days with him smiling so I know it can't be ALL bad.



To thoroughly mess up his already bad week he had his first dentist appointment.  This, too, was meltdown day.  I thought he would make it to Friday but I was wrong.  Daddy told him Wednesday night that he could have a lollipop after the dentist.  Well he woke up Thursday morning remembering that and proceeded to have a 15 minute meltdown at my feet in the bathroom as I was getting ready.  At one point I picked his screaming booty up and put him on my bed in front of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, went back in the bathroom and shut the door.  The crying stopped pretty quickly.  Hot dog, hot dog hot diggity dog.  Clearly I am enjoying his shows as much as he does when I start quoting Mickey Mouse.  But Nicholas rocked it at the dentist.  He let them clean and floss his teeth.  He wouldn't let them suction them but other than that he was awesome.  We got a thumbs up from the dentist on our hygene (he was impressed that I floss his teeth - heck - so am I for that matter.  Gotta love the floss sticks!) and no cavities.  We are supposed to start working on the spitting out the toothpaste instead of swallowing (the training toothpaste).  Once he does thata we will switch to flouride toothpaste and use a rinse.  Below is a picture with Dr. Andersen - they take a pic on the first visit.  And the T-Rex we had another meltdown over because he couldn't come home with us.  I KNEW it was going to be a long week.


Friday Matt said he dropped Nicholas off, didn't stay in the room long but looked in the window.  He said it took him less than a minute to stop crying, lay down on the floor with his babies (his blankies) and listen to the story.  We made progress.  I'm afraid for Monday after 2 days off.  All week all we heard was "I not go school" as soon as he woke up.  Good morning to you too sunshine.

And so we leave this LONG week with an annual picture in the bluebonnets.  This year they are not as good as we had a dry winter.  But we found a small patch and did what we could with it.  Here's to a good Monday.  At least Matt has to drop him off.  :)




P.S. - Peggy, mom says hi!

1 comment:

Bette said...

My oh my! Sounds like mommy and daddy will need a nice night out next week. I'm sure there's a grandma who would love to watch him while you have a well deserved date night!